In honor of May 4, Star Wars Day, I had the pleasure of combining my lifelong love of the intergalactic epic with my recent personal development writing—resulting in a fun piece posted on Success.com yesterday. Read on for important life lessons from the whole cosmic crew: Obi Wan, Yoda, Anakin and more.
And may the Force be with you.
This fall, I had the rare privilege to interview some of the greatest thinkers in personal development for the first ever SUCCESS 25: 2014’s Top People in Personal Growth, featured in the January issue of SUCCESS magazine. From religious leaders like Joel Osteen and Bishop TD Jakes to health gurus Dr. Oz and Deepak Chopra to financial experts Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey, it was an exciting and hugely informative journey.
One of the most poignant moments occurred when I was conducting my final interview and was more than a little exhausted from my marathon work schedule. Dr. Wayne Dyer quite simply asked me, “Are you happy?” It instantly brought tears to my eyes and certainly got me thinking. When was the last time someone asked you that? And what would you answer be? Regardless, I know the collective wisdom I gathered for this assignment will inform more than one resolution for 2015…and beyond.
Today, the print feature comes out in the magazine (on newsstands nationwide), featuring practical knowledge and advice from each of the 25 experts. I also wrote two online companion pieces for SUCCESS.com: one about the legends and pioneers of personal development from the 20th century, from Dale Carnegie to Maya Angelou, and a second piece that looks more closely at the backgrounds of The SUCCESS 25.
I hope you enjoy my work and find a little inspiration to guide your 2015.
My latest article for Success magazine is a personality profile on Paralymic Olympic skier Bonnie St. John, an amputee who later went on to become a Rhodes Scholar and work in the White House as an economist. Truly an inspiring story, and a fitting read to correspond with your Winter Olympics watching. Check it out here.
You probably think this post is about you. I kid, I kid, but I wanted to share my latest news. I’m now a regular contributor to xoVain, the newest project by publishing maven Jane Pratt. Launched March 1 as a sister site to her popular xoJane (both owned by Say Media), xoVain is a “new kind of beauty site where there are no secrets.” That translates to funny, sometimes self-effacing, empowering and informative posts relating to everything from makeup to skin to teeth, hair, nails and more. I’m really proud to be part of such an eclectic and talented group of female writers, from quirky hipster newbies to expat journalists to beauty-obsessed comedians. Big props to beauty director Marci Robin and senior beauty editor Annie Kreighbaum for all their work on the launch. Look for at least one post a week from yours truly!
Chinese New Year, that is. I’m really embracing the year of the snake, because it’s one of action, and it’s supposed to be great for business. So I’m keeping my ears and eyes open for new career opportunities. Meanwhile, here’s what I’ve been up to lately:
- I’ve been writing for Delray Beach and Boca Raton magazines on a monthly basis. Both publications won great recognition at the 2012 Florida Magazine Association’s Charlie Awards ceremony, and I’m proud to have been contributing since 2006. I also worked on JES Publishing’s Mizner’s Dream, Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce Annual and Worth Avenue custom publications this past year.
- Another publication that I make regular appearances in is Z-Life, the official magazine of the Zumba Fitness brand. The company has grown by leaps and bounds since opening in 2001, and I know they have major initiatives planned for 2013. Stay tuned!
- This fall, I served as freelance managing editor of BusinessMiami magazine, a quarterly publication for the alumni of the University of Miami School of Business. We’ll be starting work on the spring issue soon.
- I also edited a couple book projects this past year: a history of the Bahamian island and private club Cat Cay and a children’s book by the Center for Creative Education.
- In online news, I copy edited the entire website for the City of Homestead, as part of its rebranding campaign.
Happy Near Year to all, and may the snake bring you good fortune!
Long before I met Dr. John C. Maxwell, I had read his work. In fact, I’d even exchanged emails with the leadership expert, speaker, author and pastor for a couple articles for Success magazine (“what achievers read”). So, when I recently got the assignment to write a cover story on this larger-than-life figure—and interview him in person—I was both excited and nervous. But our conversation went great, and I think the story came out even better. Check out the article in Success—as well as his inspirational new book, The 15 Irrefutable Laws of Growth—in October.
UPDATE: Check out the cover story here!